Sunday, September 12, 2004



From NY SCUM Rock (ROIR)

The cannon fodder of rock and roll is kids who don't know how to play their instruments looking to get laid. It's good to be reminded of that from time to time. So... I've always liked this too-stupid-even-for-The-Ramones ditty that comes off a compilation of a "scum rock" festival held at CBGB in May, 1989. It's one of the few on that tape I still listen to (usually after a few drinks, as well)...although I love some of the names of the bands - Ed Gein's Car and Traci Lord's Ex-Lovers, for ex.

Bit of history: Deans of Discipline were formed in 1977 and played around the NYC area at the same time the Dolls, Ramones and Television were making hits... they remained offensive as hell as this cut attests to and had no pretensions to greatness or recording contracts. I suppose the offensiveness is mitigated by the fact that the song could be sung by either sex and gender preference-type (even those poor asexuals could sing it to the mirror).

Sleazegrinder reviews them here and provides a succint history and context. The Deans includes Nick Marden, who ran with the Stimulators...

Cute and Drunk

3 comments:

threeiem said...

This is totally one of my favorite tapes too! I wish I could get the track listing for it. It isn't even listed on discos for ROIR. (I miss this tape!)

Unknown said...

any chance of ripping and posting this comp? thanks!

Jim H said...

Uh, yeah... no. I'm guessing ROIR doesn't publish it anymore for a reason - probably can't get ahold of the bands and their lawyers are nervous about rereleasing it.